Drama Club performs unique adaptation of Snow White
By Deontay Blackwell
The Patterson High School Drama Club, led by Mrs. Ritter, portrayed the story of Snow White on its opening night on April 27 at 7 PM. Mrs. Ritter, the cast, and the stage crew all worked hard over the 3 months of rehearsing. In between times of rehearsing the people behind making props were people from different classes of the art teachers and outside help. Beforehand Patterson had no costume for the play and Mrs. Ritter had to make and buy costumes but with the school help and money coming out of her own pocket to make this incredible play happen. Overall, the people behind the play were mostly Freshmen and Sophomores along with some Juniors and Seniors. For many, it may have been their first time performing in or assisting with a play.
The main character in the play, Snow White, was played by Jazzy Blessett–a sophomore. This play featured a different portrayal of the story of Snow White than the Disney version most people are more familiar with, with comedic aspects ranging from sarcastic new lines to recreating a popular dance from the platform TikTok. With a different portrayal of the story, there comes a new perspective focusing on the Evil Queen from the story with the leading actor Jenny Beanszsz giving an outstanding performance of this version of the character. A new character not seen in the original was the dancing chicken, a best friend of Snow White played by Salome Birindwa with the stunning costume and eventfully doing a popular dance on Tik Tok, usually to the music “Her Way” with Snow White. The play itself came in two acts with an intermission for selling snacks and drinks with the money from that and the ticket sales to put into future projects next year.
All of this could not have been possible without the director Mrs. Ritter and Ms. Weygant as co-director both working hard on ensuring that the acting and the technical aspects of the play all went smoothly for the second ever play in the new building. There was an encore performance of the play the following night, which was also a big success. A special thanks to the crew members who were working backstage and the people in the sound booth keeping the lights on this play.
Shout out to the cast:
- Salome Birindwa (ACTRESS 2/DANCING CHICKEN)
- Jayzanay Blessett (SNOW WHITE)
- Jenny Beanszsz (ACTRESS1/WITCH/QUEEN/OLD WOMAN/DOOFY)
- Re’Mya Spence (ACTOR 1, TREE #1/KING/TEACH)
- Joy Conde (NARRATOR 1/QUEENS GUARD/TIMID)
- Maiyia Oliver (ACTOR 2, MIRROR, GROUCHY)
- Joann Conde (NARRATOR 3/TREE 2/QUEENS GUARD/SNOOZY)
- Myaira Jones (TREE 3/ GLEEFUL/ HANDSOME/ PRINCE)
- Nalia Jenkins (GESUNDHEIT)
And the crew:
- Araya Brinkley (RUNCREW)
- Kayla Cain (STAGE MANAGER/LIGHT BOARD OPERATOR)
- Estrella Cardenas (RUNCREW/PROPMASTER)
- Kaleif Mumford (RUNCREW/PROPMASTER)
- Kendall Shaw (RUNCREW/PROPS MASTER)
- Amira Plummer (RUNCREW/CURTAIN OPENER)
- Salem Garrett (PROPS MASTER/RUN CREW/STAGE MANAGER)
- Kevin Allen (ASSISTANT DIRECTOR)